Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Back Online

Hello, again everyone. The internet has been down for a few days now, but I am now able to write an update on the past few days. Things have gotten into a bit of a routine lately. The house is quieter than it was last year which is fine by me- I don't have as much money to throw around as I did before. By the end of this month though, things will begin to get hectic at the house with 3 young volunteers coming to stay at the house and work at the BNC. Their arrival, coupled with that of MB's family in February and maybe Aunt Gert, will mean a very full house in February.
The last week or so has been enjoyable. On Friday I went with Salome to visit her granny at the auto-body shop she runs. The woman is a sweetheart and she clearly loves and cares for Salome. I also met her mother and father who, though they seem very nice, are a bit less active in her life.
The computers are up and running in the computer room at the BNC. We have six computers running at one time but the problem seems to be the limited amount of games. Since I left in March, many of the games have disappeared. Some of you have asked what you can do to help or donate and one great thing would be to send computer games for Windows-based PCs. The games would have to be educational games for young children- grade 4 and lower. Anything having to do with phonics, reading, math or logic would be great. Simple games like Reader Rabbit, Arthur, etc. work. But if you have anything or might know someone with access to used computer games- email me (jmcken82@hotmail.com) and describe the game and I will let you know if it is of any use.
I have also been riding the bike a lot lately which is great -when I am able to avoid the taxis. Sometimes it feels like I am playing a real-life game of frogger out there. Everyone seems like they are in a rush when they are in a car- even driving through read lights if they know it is about to turn green- but this same sense of urgency doesn't seem to carry over into getting things done quickly or into arriving places on time. In the evenings after leaving the center I sometimes meander down roads or find a little park or patch of grass to hang out in for a little bit.
Sunday I went with MaryBeth to play soccer with a group of guys she plays with every Sunday at the University of Namibia. The temperature read 40 degrees celsius (104 F) and I learned that the elevation of Windhoek is higher than that of Denver, Colorado! Needless to say, the two hours of soccer was exhausting, but we played on a grass field which was a nice change of pace from the rocks and stones that the kids play on. All of those guys are very skilled players, and despite my lack of soccer prowess, it was nice to be out running around. Afterwards we rode about 10K north to Katutura where MB was invited to a meeting of a group called the Namibian Youth Group. It is a community group of young Namibians who got together to do acting, community work, and a soup kitchen instead of hanging out on the street drinking. It was nice to meet so many community-conscious young people.
In the evening, MB went off to a dinner with some friends so I stayed in Katutura to see if any of the kids were out and about. I met up with Salome, Esme, Wendy and Eddelsine and hung out with them for a bit. They are all adorable.
So I managed to get a few pictures up today of the kids. The first is Salome with her granny. The second is me with Romancia at the BNC. The third is Milandri, Julianna, Romancia, Martha, and little Sanna up front. Milandri and Sanna are sisters and the other three are sisters and Milandri and Romancia are best friends. Then there is the group in front of a puzzle that took them two hours to do. The woman who donated the puzzle said it took her two months! Finally there is me with the three sisters. Sha, the oldest, is in the back, Tete, the youngest is on the left and Miraldi is on the right.
Hope all is well back home... Stay in touch!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice going, Scooter. Keep up the good work.
Aunt Sue

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the three months I spend with the kids I really love them and it is so hard to see how the country just messes up with the schoolsystem.. It was striking to read your blog, because when I came back in the Netherlands I said exactly the same! Hope it will change one day..

It is great that you are there for the kids to give them the love and attention they so much need!

Please give my love to the kids,
Marloes...

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home