Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Friday, December 29, 2006

Thursday in Katutura



Good Morning!
Today is already Friday... time is flying. My first sunburn has already peeled into a decent tan line and my legs are adjusted to riding a bike all over Windhoek.
Yesterday at the BNC I took another group of 10 kids to the tennis courts and they all did so well. Edelsine has proved to be a big help and, despite her tiny size, is one of the best players- she is great at volleying and even hit a ball past me. (She is the one in the pink on the right side of the photo and there is also one, I think, from the earlier blog) The kids are all fast learners and play in their barefeet or sandals on the scorching hot pavement with rackets that are almost as big as they are. (The other two pictures are of Miraldi and little Ruru, Edelsine's brother.)
As I was about to ride away from the center, a fight broke out between Jennifer and Daniel, two kids who are about 14. Fortunately for Daniel I pulled them apart before Jennifer could inflict any more damage to him aside from a bloody lip. It is hard to break these kids of the habits they have about retalition, revenge, and anger. They can step on broken shards of glass in their bare feet on the way to tennis and just rub some dirt in it and keep going as if nothing happened, but if another child swears them they suddenly become the most sensitive kids in the world.
Hope all is well with you... thank you for the emails!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice going, Scooter.
I love reading your blogs and will keep in touch.
See you in Feb.

Aunt Sue

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home