Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Friday, April 07, 2006

Pizza! Pizza!

Hello Again...
Thursday was a nice day. I woke up in the morning a little early and ran off to do some shopping. Susmitha had been asking me for weeks to buy her something to remember me by so I bought her a little wire animal pendant- she seemed to like it. For the seven kids I am bringing to the airport with me I also bought each of them a huge Cadbury candy bar and some biltong (a dried meat snack that is very popular here.) Around 11am I went to the BNC to meet with Abner and work on some math problems. Hopefully he will do well on his test in May, but he does not seem to bestudying his basic multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction skills which is disappointing. I was there to see all the kids arrive and the computer room ran smoothly. At 5pm, I brought Steve and Marloes in to give them a quick tutorial on how things are run. There were about 15 of the kids stuffed into the room with us, "helping" me teach Steve and Marloes. We left around 6pm and Steve drove MB and Marloes back home and I took the bike so I could hang out a few more minutes with the kids. I gave Esme, Dora, Miraldi, and Antonia all rides home before leaving. Antonia, who is about 8, is really sweet (I think I posted a picture of her in one of the first photo blogs) She is tough as nails when it comes to holding her own on the street- she is not afraid of anyone and I have seen her on more than one occasion with a boy in a headlock. She even acts tough around me at first which I think is a defense mechanism. But she will also come up to me and cuddle in my lap, sucking her thumb. She is sooo adorable.
Last night MB, Marloes, Fr. Rick, and I went to an all-you-can-eat pizza place for dinner. The wait was about 30 minutes but once you are in you sit down for 2 hours as pizza is passed around by waiters from table to table. The selection was good and the pizza apparently is one of the better places in Windhoek. For N$32.50 (US$5.50) we stuffed ourselves for two hours. MaryBeth put away 18 slices of pizza- breaking her old record by one. I went piece to piece with her for awhile but at one point I looked over and she had about six slices piled on her plate. Although I lost count, I think I finished somewhere around 15-16 slices. The waiters would passby with a pie of pizza and MB would wave them over and before they could say what type of pizza they were offering, she had one piece in her mouth and another on her plate. She is crazy.
We got home and organized some clothes to give away to the kids at the BNC today. We are going to play Bingo for Sweets and have a raffle to give out the clothes and stay late at the BNC. Other than that all I have to do is pack, do soccer tomorrow, and say goodbye! :-( This is my last blog to be written in Namibia, but I will update my blog on Monday or Tuesday morning in NY to talk about my goodbyes with the little kiddies.
Have a great weekend!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WILL MISS THE STORY OF THIS JOURNEY.....

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scooter: Thanks for taking us with you on this journey. I'll miss your daily postings from the field, esp. keeping track of MB''s doings. But I am looking forward to continuing the conversation while you help to empty my basement of the hundreds of soccer uniforms and school supplies. Thus the story (and job) continues.............
See you soon!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mice like cheese.
I like chocolate milk.

-Cheese.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home