Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Monday, February 05, 2007

The Weekend

Hello, Everyone.
Well, the idea of taking suggestions from the audience for topics to write about went over like a lead balloon so I am going to subject you to more comments like, "I love these kids" and "The kids are so amazing."
I have recused myself to the dining room table to write this blog entry. The girls (MB, Anna, Erica, Katarina... and now Suzie!) have taken over the living room and are talking about hair braiding. MaryBeth just walked by with two huge packets of chocolate. I wish I was making this up.
Aunt Gert's wild African experience continued this evening with a trip to KFC. She was in the mood for eating out so she treated me to a chicken wrap and french fries and a soda. I think the chicken was African. This weekend I brought her back up to Okahandja to buy some crafts. She didn't care much for the bartering so I did that while she chit-chatted with the locals. That seems to be something she really enjoys- meeting new people and experiencing their culture. Afterwards we stopped at a game farm but the tours were booked so we just ate lunch under a thatched roof. We ate what we didn't see- some sort of exotic meat.
This whole weekened we had the grass fields to play soccer with the kids. After we returned from Okahandja, I rode my bike over to the fields to catch the last few games. MB and I stayed until 8pm then rode home. The next day I spent the whole day at the fields and watched a lot of good games. I even got to play in a game with the BNC U-18 Boys team. We lost 5-2, but it was fun running around with them, wearing the uniform, and sliding on the grass. The boys on that team are really a great group of young men and I enjoy being around them at the BNC or on the soccer field. (And yes, I do love them and think they are amazing.)
Today Suzie and Aunt Pat arrived and MB brought Martha (Suzie's favorite from last trip) to the airport to greet them. Afterwards Martha stayed at the house through the morning. We spoiled her with creal, an apple, juice, ice cream, and she got to watch The Incredibles. She then took a nap on Aunt Gert's bed. At the center today Milandri, Dora, Bonitha, and Romancia each asked me to be their Valentine. I was flattered to think so many of the girls found me so strikingly handsome- and then I found out that as the Valentine, I am expected to get them a gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home