Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Monday, Monday

Good Morning,
Monday was a regular day with regular activities. In the morning I did some grocery shopping with Marc and read some of "The Power Broker" by Robert A. Caro which is a biography on Robert Moses- it is interesting, but a loooong book- over 1100 pages.
At the BNC I did the computer room with the kids and all went well. Quincy, that little girl I mentioned yesterday was in the computer room the whole time reading quietly to herself. She must have read atleast 30 children's books that afternoon! She is a very smart little girl, hopefully that intelligence will be nurtured, though I doubt it. The 4pm time slot was occupied by Wendy, Salome, Charlotte and Suzmita- I am worried that one of these days the kids are going to catch on that Salome is in there almost everyday at 4pm!
After we saw the kids out the door at 5, a young Namibian named Abner who is 22 came to the BNC for help in preparing for his grade 10 examination. The education system here is pretty bad and every child is passed along through grade 10 and if they fail the grade 10 examination they are dropped from school. This guy Abner was dropped but he seems to have the desire to learn what he needs to know to eventually graduate in a few years. For the next two weeks I will try to help him out and give him some advice, but a lot of the burden is resting on his shoulders. I hope he can achieve this because graduating grade 12 is a huge boost to your employment opportunities here.
Leaving the BNC around 630pm, a group of kids ran up to me on my bike and I stayed and chatted with them for a bit. They are so much fun and as I have said before, I'd stay all night and hang out with them if I could.
The evening was very relaxed and quiet, which was nice. Today is Marc's birthday so I doubt it will be as quiet as last night.
Hope all is well at home... talk to you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home