Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Friday, March 24, 2006

Back at the BNC

Good morning, everyone...
The past few days have been quiet compared to the weekend of sightseeing but it has been nice to be back in Windhoek. I did not go to the morning programs this week and my days were actually quiet outside the time spent at the BNC. The computer room is beginning to have a flow and routine to it which makes it more enjoyable for the kids and less stressful for me. It was really nice to ride my bike up and see the children on Wednesday. I have been riding the bike to the BNC and when I ride I listen to my iPod which the kids adore so I let them take turns listening to it. I put a song on repeat and let it play and play as they pass it around. (For some reason I feel I have written about this before... if so, I apologise, but reading the blog is probably more interesting than sharpening pencils at work so humor me and keep reading.) Feelin' Groovy is, of course, very popular, but they also love Bob Marley so I play "No Woman No Cry" for them a lot. For Martha I play the Beatles' song "Martha My Dear" and yesterday I played "Lovely Rita" for Rita and she loved it. Susmitha (apparently that's how you spell it... not Suzmita) wanted to hear a song with her name in it. She settled for hearing "Wake Up Little Susie" and when the chorus came and the Everly Brothers sing "Wake up little Susie" she giggled and said "They are saying my name!" She is adorable.
The bike is also popular and when I am leaving I give a few kids a ride around the center. So between running the computer room, the iPod, and the bicycle, the kids are often wanting to be around me which is nice, even if it takes an iPod to make friends!
Last night Mark, Michael, Kristen, and I went to El Cubano for some drinks. It was a quiet night at the bar and a little pricey but the conversation was nice. Oh, I come to find out that the landlord of the East Germans is renovating the apartment and painted their bedrooms white and when the two saw their rooms were white, complained that they preferred off-white because plain white was too bright, and the landlord repainted it for them. They are only going to be here until July and they are putting up a fuss... I should just let it go but man do they get under my skin!
Despite those two, everything else here is going great and I am really enjoying myself and wish all of you could get the opportunity to come and see Namibia for yourselves. I am off to get ready for the day- hope everyone has a nice weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home