Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Friday, March 10, 2006

A Nice Day

Hello....
All is well here in Windhoek. Yesterday (Thursday) was nice. We went to Hakehana in the morning and played games with the kids. Yada, Yada, Yada... we left four hours later.
Then we went to the BNC. :-) MB wanted me to take some pictures for her friend Urmgard (the woman who owns the hotel we ate at the night before) who wants to display some pictures of the BNC at her hotel to raise money and awareness. I got some great pictures which I will try to post later this weekend. The first hour at the BNC is always great being there when the kids arrive and seeing smiling faces. There is always a lot of high energy to start the afternoon.
I was put in the computer room again yesterday to try to develop a routine- we are getting there. The kids really enjoy being at the computers and all work so well in there, helping each other out and being patient.
Afterwards, MB and I played another round of tennis. I am really enjoying the exercise and feel myself getting a little better each day. We have some really great volleys and play some really good games. Many of the children wait outside the BNC at 5 to go down to the tennis courts with us. Since MB has been borrowing her friends truck while he is away, we load them in the back of the pickup and drive to the courts. They LOVE riding and singing in the truck, they hang off the bumpers ando over the wheel wells. It is awesome how a simple thing like a two-minute car ride can thrill them so much. The tennis courts are in a private park overgrown by weeds and the kids, since they are not members, are not allowed in but within 30 minutes of playing, they find ways to sneak up the fence or over barbed wire to come hang out on the tennis courts. They will run around, watch us play, or take a tennis ball and start a soccer game. MB bribes the guards at the gate on the way out with sweets to look the other way. Losing is so much fun when the kids are there. I look forward to it everyday.
Around 7 we got back to the house b/c I told Sebastian we would go on another bike ride. This time I was on MB's old bike which is a rolling death trap. On the first big hill, I changed gears and the chain popped off. She has no brakes on the bike so to stop it, there is a plastic fender covering the back wheel that, when pushed down on by a foot, while slow the wheel to a stop. Well, going down the first hill, I was applying pressure to the fender when the plastic snapped and it was shoe on tire as I raced down the hill. And then on the straighaway back to the house the back well popped and went flat about a 1/2k from the house and I had to walk it back.
Last night was relaxing- made myself some pasta and hung out with the housemates in the living room. This weekend we are going to a Cheetah farm about 1 hour north of here. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I hear NY is making it up to 65 degrees this weekend... brrrrr....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMIGOD Throw that bike AWAY!! Somewhere where MB will not fish it out of the "rubbish". Please tell her that in the interests of keeping you both alive I'd be happy to pay for a new bike. The kind with brakes.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, that last post was from me. (Suzie). Also forgot to mention: I like your new credo: WWWD? (What Would Wendy Do?) MB could make bracelets. ;-) Please say hi to all the urchins for me, as usual. -- Suzie

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home