Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Thursday, July 15, 2010

6th Graders

Today was another nice day with the kids. I had to give tough love to Milandri and Bonita this morning. We agreed they would do homework every night to get ready for the tutoring but they have not been carrying through with it. They were stung a little bit by my lecture but I'm hoping to light a fire in them.

The children in the afternoon are coming to understand my expectations of them for classtime. Occasionally I have had to remind them that I am a teacher during study hours. Still, as soon as class is over I act silly with them.

Today I want to hilight the 6th Grade class that I meet with from 3:45-4:30. So far I have done the same lesson with both grades which makes planning much easier for me. Almost all of the 6th graders are new faces to me but they are really a fun group of kids. The boys are totally outnumbered- but Rivaldo, Rinaldo, and Elias (among others)each are total boys who love their athletics. Marybeth warned me that Rivaldo is a bit of a terror who runs the center, but so far, we have had a great rapport. Tia-Zia is a new girl who I had not met before this trip but she is very bright, helpful, respectful, humorous and full of sunshine (she is in the back row with a white shirt in the pic below) There is also a set of twins (Lebby and Ebba) who dress identically, of course! They are also new to me but act a lot like Tia-Zia. The kids are always asking me if I will teach them today and I definitely look forward to spending time with them.

It's amazing how quickly these afternoons go by. With the sun setting around 5pm, the evening pass quickly, too, and before I know it another day passes.

I am now at Fr. Rick's apartment watching a rerun of the Ghana-Uruguay match. The apartment is great and I should have it to myself through the weekend since Timna went to Swakopmund with the rest of the girls.

The furst picture is of the 6th graders. The second picture is of Romencia (one of the regulars through the years who is studying for her 12th grade exam.) The last picture is one of the quaint touches of the other house that I am going to miss...

Hope all is well... God bless you!



5 Comments:

Blogger Dustin Alarid said...

Jim, I love reading your updates! Keep them coming...you rock!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

ghana-uruguay! crazy, right?!! :D

1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Scooter--
Steve Miscione here.Thanks for the great postings from Windhoek and the BNC! It totally brings me back to my days there. Sounds like things have changed for the better as far as the emphasis on ed.and tutoring at the center. I miss so many of the kids there.Big hug to Milandri(I hope she remembers me?),and if you see the dynamic duo of BamBam and RuRu let me know how they're doing.Any info on Wendy, Sushmita, Alfredo, Alfreida or any of the "old-timers". Please , another big hug to the incomparable MB! She's amazing!(but you know that). Sounds like you've found your passion in teaching the challenged and forgotten youth of our world, and you're good at it. Not an easy calling. Awesome!(maybe you'll grow up to be like MB someday....)
Peace out -- Steve

3:50 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Super fun to read about your adventures Jim! I do have questions for you...do the students live at the school? Are they orphans or just kids from the community? What is the surrounding neighborhood/area like? Urban or country? (And is it kosher to have Zebra rugs...isn't that illegal?) :) And finally, what is the local food like? Are you cooking all your own food?

Glad you are doing well and so impressed with YOUR energy and drive to be teaching even during your summer "break"!

:)
Kathleen

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Nina said...

hey mister taxi-driver steve, nice to read from you!
how are you? are you doing well at your new home?

erica happy belated birthday!!

send you all greetings from germany!

Nina

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home