Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The BNC

I figured since I have a little time this morning before soccer I would write a second blog entry today-this one describing the Bernard Nordkamp Center, The BNC- or, as MB says, "The Best Namibian Children." Many of you have asked me about what it is exactly. This is the main place MB works at. Even though she does morning activities in other places, this is her main group of kids. We really haven't begun working at the other places yet- that should begin on Tuesday.

The BNC is a wonderful place. It is located in Katutura, a poor section on the outskirts of Windhoek. Katutura literally means something like "I don't want to be here" because it waswhere many blacks were forced to live during Apartheid. Every weekday from 1-5pm anywhere between 150-200 kids go there after school for soup and afterschool activities. All the kids are from the neighborhood. Whenever we pull into the center all the kids turn, smile and start shouting "Marybeth, Marybeth!"

MB is the queen bee there. All the kids listen to her, respect her, and love her. Although she is supposed to be just helping and Nelson, a young Namibian is in charge, he is often in his office and often shows little interest in the program. Many Namibian men seem to have a similar inertia and indifference which is disappointing and frustrating.

From 1-5 we do all sorts of activities. Bingo, Uno, reading, puzzles, drawing, jumprope, and, of course, soccer. It is really a safe place for these kids where they know what is expected of them and they know they will be respected and loved if they do the same. Many of these kids are orphaned living with relatives because their parents had HIV/AIDS or they are endangered because of abuse at home. The amazing thing is, despite their living situation at home, they are always smiling and having a great time. They have so little, often sleep on the floor at home and the soup from the BNC is often their only real meal. They are all gifted children who, had they been born white or lived in a better place, might excel. Hopefully some still will.

They are such loving kids- they love to be hugged. I spend atleast a half hour throughout the day picking up and putting down children. I can be reading one person a book when within minutes three more are sitting next to me holding my arms and listening.

Admittedly, I have my favorites. There are kids I look for as soon as I show up and LOVE picking them up and hugging them. When I post some pictures I will put captions next to the pictures describing the kids. It has been two weeks there and I already love the kids. If I could I would bring as many as I could back to the states. It is sad to think that so much beauty, love, and talent might end up wasted because of the society that the kids live in.

5pm always comes too quick for the kids, and for me. I usually walk to the gate and say goodbye and pick up the kids one last time. Some kids are a little rowdy and less coroparative (usually boys) but they all CRAVE attention and love. If we could, I would stay much later than 5pm giving the kids attention, teaching them, and providing a safe place for them. Still,they are incredibly resiliant and strong.

I learn a lot when I am there. I, and by extension all of you, are extremely lucky. I know it sounds preachy and a cliche but it is true. Life is random and it is by luck that we are where we are. We all seem to have great potential, it is in large part the environment we live in that allows some of us to shine and others to dim. If you could look at some of these kids in the eyes and see how beautiful they are and how precious they are, you would feel the same.

That is all the preaching I will do today! I really can't wait to get back and talk for hours on end about each kid with whoever wants to listen. In six weeks I will be ready to give up everything and get back to my life and my responsibilites, with the exception of leaving the BNC kids. Ask Suzie, an she was only here for 10 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home