Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My first few days (Pt. I)

Hello Everyone...
I made it in safely just ahead of the snowstorm. My flight to London was quick and easy after de-icing on the runway. Once in London, I checked my bags in and hopped the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station in downtown London. The weather in London was only slightly better than what I left in New York... cloudy, cold, and freezing rain. Still, being in London was nice as I took the Big Bus tour around part of London and I got off at Trafalgar Square and wandered around on my own for the rest of the time. I did not stay too long in the city as I wanted to make sure I made it back to the airport in time for my flight.

My flight to Namibia was a bit longer and more congested. I sat next to a British guy who was retired from the army and he had a few interesting stories to tell. I was able to get a little bit of sleep which thankfully helped minimize the effects of jet lag.

Touching down in Namibia was exciting- especially the warm weather. The Windhoek airport (Hoesea Kutako Int'l, I believe) is a tiny little airport and I am pretty sure we were the only flight that had landed in the past hour or more. Customs was uneventful and MaryBeth and her sister Suzie were there to meet me. The ride into Windhoek was 45 minutes and along the way we saw a heard of baboons. I got a little sunburn just from sitting in the back of the little Toyota pickup truck! (A sign of things to come, I am sure)

There is so much more to talk about but I need to hop in the shower, eat, and relax... More to come....! Hope all is well with everyone back home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home