Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goodbye, My Dear Friends, I Shall Never Forget You!

I just got off of a loooonng bus ride from Windhoek to Cape Town. I took the Intercape Sleepliner which is as comfortable as any bus, I suppose, but after 22 hours I was ready to strangle everyone on the bus, especially the guy next to me who had no problem leaning over to take pictures every 20km.

On to the update…

After an awesome time on Saturday night with the boys, Simon and I brought some of the “old timers” to Zoo Park in downtown Windhoek for an afternoon picnic on Sunday. We picked up Milandri, Bonita, Romencia, Esme, and Denzel from Katutura, dropped them off, then I drove over to Concordia High School to pick up Salome, Jennifer, Meroldi, and Susmitha. The volunteer Moretta met us over there as did Nangula. Simon and some of the girls went to Pick ‘n Pay to buy chicken, bread, water, chips and a cake. We stuffed ourselves on three chickens then played cards in the grass. As the time passed we played a soccer game, had a water fight, then watched the sunset. It was a really special time to say goodbye to the kids that have meant the most to me over these four trips. On the ride back to Katutura Denzel was in the front seat I and taught him how to shift gears- he loved it!

Friday night’s concert, Saturday night with the boys, and Sunday afternoon with the “old timers” are what hooks me into coming back to Namibia and why I feel that I will come back again. Being here at the BNC and developing relationships with the kids gives me a chance to immerse myself in their lives and develop deeper relationships. I would love to do these activities with my students in the Bronx but there is such a taboo on a teacher being more involved with his students beyond the final school bell. Volunteering at the BNC is so special because of the love that exists there.

Monday was my last day and I spent the morning running errands and packing. At the center grades 5 and 6 had publisher parties to celebrate their hard work and some of the children shared their pieces with the class. We then had cookies and as I gave each kid a piece of candy I hugged them and said goodbye. I really will miss working with these two grades. There was a real sense of purpose teaching and completing a writing unit together. As I was saying goodbye to the 6th graders MB came marching into the classroom with her guitar and 40 kids in tow singing “Goodbye, our dear friend, we shall never forget you.” (She plays it over and over again for every volunteer that leaves “until you start to cry.”) The day before at the park Denzel and I were sitting alone and he told me he was going to cry when he said goodbye- and he did. Denzel has always been special but I could really tell this time around how much it meant for him to have a friend to come and see every day. More than any other time here, I really connected with the boys at the BNC.

Reflecting on this trip I would have to say it was the most successful, most rewarding, and most entertaining trip so far. The volunteers I worked with were strong, my roommates Simon and Timna were a lot of fun, and sharing time with Katy was special. My housing arrangements were very comfortable, the weekend trips were exciting, and life in Windhoek was at my speed- the right mix of quiet and crazy. Working at the BNC has never been as rewarding and engaging as it was this time around- Grandma Cathy really has worked hard to make the academics a success. MaryBeth has continued to inspire me as a mentor and a friend. I have been blessed in so many ways by her presence in my life and she has a lot to do with where I am at in life professionally and who I am as a person.

Then, of course, are the kids. New friends Bonsekie, Lediana, Wendemi, little Sentia, Giovanni, Rabon, Ronaldo, Simson, Elias, Tia-Zia, Lebby, Ebba, Rivaldo and so many more mixed in with friends from years past have made this trip incredibly fulfilling. You know it is a special place to be when you are sitting in the shadows of Table Mountain, watching elephants cross the road, or riding up the sides of sand dunes and all you keep doing is glancing at your watch and wishing you were back on Hans Uirab Street at the BNC. I have written so much through the years about the BNC… I encourage any of you to consider taking a few weeks to come and volunteer with me (next summer?) to experience it firsthand.

Every time I leave I say “check back in a few days for another post about the rest of my trip” and I have never done it!!! There is more I would like to write about my experiences… so check periodically over the next week or two for other potential posts. Thank you so much for reading along… I look forward to sharing more with all of you in person in the coming weeks. God bless you!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home