Namibia

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog as a journal to record my experiences in Namibia. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Helping

Hello Everyone,
As my time here is winding down I have been trying to spend as much time with the children as possible- staying late everyday. Whether it's sitting out in front of the center eating flavored ice or riding the bike through the Shop Rite parking lot with them, I just try to enjoy the last few days. Yesterday Romachell, Esme, Salome, Bonitha, and I were running around the parking lot chasing each other until 7:30 at night. It's wonderful to see them laughing and carefree. In the evenings I have been spending time with volunteers and friends.
Since arriving here I have had a lot of people ask me how they can help out with the projects MaryBeth is doing in and around Katutura. Some of you have asked what materials are specifically needed and where you can send them and others have generously offered their money. To those with questions about sending books, supplies, etc., you can email me anytime and I can advise you on what is good to send. I have had a few people who have donated money and others have asked how to go about doing this. If you have ever considered sending money to help, let me assure you that the money goes directly to the kids and no amount is too small.
The money that I have received so far I have given to the Moses Garoeb Youth Club in Katutura. It is basically a group of young Namibians around my age who got together and decided instead of sitting around and drinking they would take what little money they had and start a Sunday soup kitchen for kids in their neighborhood. Soup kitchens usually only feed kids Monday-Friday so some kids face going the whole weekend with little or no food. Naturally, many children come to get soup on Sundays and the club is now feeding over 150 children every week. In the beginning the club was paying for the soup with their own money but as the numbers have increased, they can't afford it. SOOO.... if you had thought of sending money- this would be a great place to do it. $100 can feed the kids at the soup kitchen for two weeks.
On a sadder note, one of the under-10 soccer players in the Saturday soccer program was killed last week when he was hit by a car. Though I didn't know the boy personally, his coach is a good man who has been dedicated to building the soccer program with MaryBeth and all of his soccer teams are full of well-behaved, talented boys who show up every Saturday and play their hearts out. The funeral for the little boy is this Saturday and the parents have decided to bury him in his soccer uniform (which was part of a set donated to MB from the US) and the pallbearers at his funeral will be his teammates. I'm sure his family could use some financial assistance with the funeral costs during this tragic time. Let me know if you want to help.
Sorry if this sounds like a Sally Struthers commercial, but I just wanted to make people aware of what they can do to help. I get a lot of feedback about what I am doing, and this is how you can contribute. If you get together with people you work with and pitch in some money, or a local club of yours, you would be surprised how quickly money can add up. Just eat a few less cheeseburgers this month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home